Saturday, January 8, 2011

Peach Cobbler

This is by no means a good baked from scratch.  My mom got this recipe from one of those little Betty Crocker or Pillsbury cookbooks that are with the tabloid magazines by the register in grocery stores.  I've made it once with the recipe, but I didn't have the recipe this time, so I winged it.  This is what I did this time... 

Step one:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Two:  Melt a stick of butter.
3.  Stir the butter into a package of yellow cake mix.  (In a bowl, duh.) 
4.  Mix in a handful-ish of oats.
5.  In a glass baking dish empty two cans of peach pie filling and spread it over the whole pan evenly.
6.  Dump the cake/butter/oats mix over the peaches and spread it evenly over the top to cover the filling. 
7.  Slap it in the oven for about forty-five minutes, until top is golden brown.  Let it cool for a little bit before you eat it.

If you want to do this with fresh fruit, you just chop 'em up and mix the fruit with sugar and cinnamon before you put the cake mix on it.  I have done it this way before with apricots, I think?  It was good. 

I realize these are poor instructions.  What size cans of filling do you use?  What size pan?  I don't know.  You can't go wrong, there's almost no way you could mess this up.  You could put in more butter in the topping, I'm sure, make it a little more crumbly.  And just put in enough fruit to where you think you'd get enough from a scoop of cobbler.  This is where I prefer the fresh or frozen fruit, because sometimes the cans have more syrup than fruit. 

A hot cobbler is always good with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Dish me up!

Jeremy! said...

The sign of a truly good cook-- not needed a down-to-the-last-teaspoon exact recipe! This sounds like it was awesome!

Unknown said...

Aw shucks, thanks! This is the least specific recipe in the world. And it was delicious! A little too sweet, from the syrup, I think.