Friday, January 14, 2011

Mmmmm......Lasagna *Updated*

Lasagna has definitely been my favorite food ever since I was born.  I made one this week for a friend of Boyfriend's that came over for dinner from a family recipe that I'm not at liberty to reveal.  It was a beautiful lasagna, as usual, but instead of showing you a lasagna I can't tell you about, I thought I would give my perspective on the creation of one.

If you are not opposed to pork, I recommend mixing ground sausage in with your ground beef, it adds a certain yummy flavor.  I don't know how to describe it because I'm not a real cook, sorry!  Just more flavors than MEAT flavor. 

Mixing a little bit of spinach in with ricotta makes it healthier, but it's hard to taste the vegetable-ness of it if you've a picky eater on your hands. 

Using ricotta makes the lasagna a little more liquidy, so it doesn't hold it's layered rectangular shape as well as if you just use meat, shredded cheese and noodles.  I really like the ricotta though.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE MORE CHEESE.

If you do use chopped spinach, and you get it frozen, thaw it well beforehand and drain it, that will help the lasagna keep its shape as well.

You can build a lasagna and freeze it for a while before you put it in the oven, so you have something for later.

*Also, if you get a fresh block of mozzarella and shred or slice it yourself, that will also make the lasagna more watery, so cut the cheese beforehand to let it dry out a bit, or just use the pre-shredded stuff.

If I could devote my whole life to lasagnas, I would.  I want to know everything about them, and taste all the different kinds.  My favorite so far is from a restaurant in California that my family went to frequently when I was little.  The restaurant was in San Jose, it was called Gallo's.  I think it was family-owned, so of course it was good!  Does anybody else in the blogosphere know any good restaurants for lasagnas?  Or any other tips when making them?

3 comments:

Jeremy! said...

Literally salivating. Lovelovelove Lasagna.

One thing though-- pork?? I've never heard of this, I usually just use sausage! (Or go meatless, Boyfriend doesn't like the meats.)

Unknown said...

Oh man, I meant beef. Sausage is pork, mix it with the ground beef. Sorry. :/

Jeremy! said...

Oh, man, that makes so much more sense. I was imagining you cubing pork chops and putting that in your lasagna. Not gonna lie, it sounds much more tasty now.